The oldest such choir remaining in the United States, the Choir of Men and Boys consists of 8 men and 16 boys, ages 8-14, auditioned and selected from the New York metropolitan area, with diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds. The boys rehearse several times each week and not only are paid but also receive incremental merit-based scholarships through the Anthony J. Mercede Scholarship Fund.
Want to sing with us?
The full Choir of Men and Boys sings most Sunday mornings at the 11:00 A.M. Mass. To arrange for an audition, contact Claudia Dumschat at 917-825-7504.
Every summer the boys attend a week-long Choir Camp at Camp Incarnation in Ivoryton, CT, where they prepare their music for the church year. In addition to rehearsing several hours a day, the boys get to swim and canoe in a beautiful lake, play soccer and other games, and roast marshmallows in a bonfire every night.
Grow with our Boys' Choir
The Church of the Transfiguration invites boys in the third grade and higher to join its Choir of Men and Boys. An audition is required, but the primary requirement to join is an interest in music.
Boys rehearse twice a week and sing on Sunday at the 11:00 a.m. service. The Choirmaster will arrange rehearsals at a convenient location such as a school for boys who cannot attend midweek rehearsals at the Church. In return for training in music, we ask each boy to commit to regular attendance.
Boys of all faiths are welcome in this nurturing, English-style Episcopal Church.
Some Opportunities for Growth
- Discover and enhance talents
- Join with others to create something beautiful and thrilling
- Mature in self-discipline and group cooperation
- Grow in self-confidence from public performance
- Expand musical skills with free private tutoring
- Associate with professional musicians
- Share in a centuries-old tradition from England and Continental Europe
- Experience the history of Western civilization through music
- Celebrate with field trips and choir parties
Beginning in the second year of participation, scholarships are awarded for each successful year in the choir. Scholarships are made possible by the Anthony Mercede Scholarship Fund and annual fund raising.
Little Church's Little Blog
October 06, 2017